Although more and more people who decide to do some sport with the aim of lead a healthy life style, still unfortunately we spent most of the day sitting.
The problem with this is that to be a lot of time sitting has negative consequences for the health, because the body needs movement and exercise to function properly.
Is it bad to be a lot of time sitting?
Spend sitting more than 6 hours a day increases the risk of mortality, especially in the case of women, according to a recent study published by the American Cancer Society conducted with data of more than 123,000 people over a 14-year period.
The research revealed that women who stated that they were to spend sitting more than 6 hours a day, even if after they did exercise, had a 37% more likely to die in the study period (1993-2006) than those who remained sitting for less than 3 hours. In the case of sedentary men, the risk of mortality was 18% higher.
Lack of exercise makes things worse even more, since the women and men who are more time sitting and are less physically active have between a 94% and 48% more likely to die than those who are more active. To be sitting long time affects the hormones that regulate the production of triglyceride and cholesterol, which in turn can trigger heart problems.
The good news is that, according to australian research published in the European Heart Journal, the negative effects are reduced if you do regular breaks of at least a minute to move around the room, filling a glass of water, go to the table of a co-worker…
This type of pauses to reduce the levels of protein C-reactive, a molecule that increases the levels in response to inflammation and is considered an important cardiovascular risk factor.
Tips to avoid being a lot of time sitting
It is very well to watch tv, to play to Play, or go to the movies, but all of these sedentary activities, you remain seated and increase the number of hours that your body is still.
The way to avoid the sedentary lifestyle is clear: to become conscious, to perform some type of physical activity daily or several times a week and stretch. The stretches are not taken into consideration by the great majority, but they are a very good way of keeping the muscles active and prevent injury.
For example, if you work sitting in an office all day, is not more than stretch your back every time and do rotations of neck to avoid muscle contractures.
In addition, it is recommended that you get up every hour and take a small walk to stretch the legs, activate blood circulation and clear the mind.
In your job you can:
- Getting up every certain amount of time to stretch the legs. You can go to drink water, to the printer, the bathroom, or even to take a stroll around the office.
- Each time you receive a call you can get up and take care of foot or taking small walks instead of sitting.
- Rests. Do not keep the same posture for long periods of time without rest, at least, 10 minutes.
In your home or in your free time:
- If you are watching tv you can take to get onto the stationary bike, to do stretching or ironing, for example.
- Salt to walk. Get to work and sit on the couch until bedtime is not a habit of healthy life for a very tired you are. Salt to the street to walk around and get away as much as possible of the pollution of the city. There’s nothing like breathing clean air to feel better, and if you do it by practicing running, so much the better.
- Take advantage of the walks of your pet for a walk. Download any application running, or pedometer, and begin to monitor the physical activity that you do during the day.