We have all experienced, at least once, the repentance to throw away half a packet of milk or a lemon that we have forgotten to fill mold. Every year, in developed countries, an average of 105 kg of food products per person is rotting and is pulled.
So that they suffer no more for the products dropped, Great.guru has compiled a list of simple tips that will help you stop “feeding” the trash can.
1. Use a shopping list
Given that the 70.5% of the spontaneous purchases fall into food, it would not be superfluous to save them a significant part of the budget. Make a list in advance, as they are using the products. Also split into smaller ones: for the stores where you usually buy or by the type of foods (fruit and vegetables, frozen products, sweets and pastries, etc).
To compile lists, it is very convenient to resort to the use of a smartphone application, such as, for example, Remember the Milk.
2. More often and in less quantity
More often, in the trash are fruits, vegetables, and the leftovers made. In addition, the top 10 products with the most drawn includes coffee, milk, apples, bread, potatoes and pasta. And these are the products that one could eat while they were at home.
Therefore, it is more convenient to stock up on non-perishable products, such as noodles, canned goods or grains 1-2 times a month. And buy all the rest calculándolo for 2-3 days. This way you won’t forget what is in the refrigerator, and the foods you will eat on time. In addition, the kitchen is possible for 1-2 meals, because not only is it not nice to eat the same dish for a week, but can also lead to poisoning.
3. Don’t do many experiments
A varied menu is a very good option, but don’t be fooled by the new recipes. As a general rule, require the purchase of additional products, the remains of which are not used. Therefore, it is better to limit it to 2-3 new recipes per week.
4. Check the refrigerator
So you can know what is and what has been done. In addition, keep in view the perishable foods and leftovers so that you do not forget them. The transparent containers of glass or plastic, “improving the memory”: we immediately see what is in them.
5. Keep food fresh longer
- The berries will not be covered soon with mold if you wash them with water and a few drops of vinegar.
- Wrap the meat you’re about to freeze with foil. That way you’ll protect the top layer of the formation of excess moisture and drying in the freezing process.
- Add desiccant to the box of vegetables. To do this, you can use paper towels, bags of uncooked rice or soda, buy crystals adsorbents special as they are put in boxes with shoes. You can also add them to the products stored in packages well closed so they don’t have a musty smell.
- Freeze fresh eggs, mixing them with salt or sugar, for savory dishes and sweets, respectively. In this way, can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 year.
- Freeze the milk. In this state, it can be stored up to 3 months and is great for cooking or even drinking. The only thing, the thawing may become non-uniform, therefore, must be well mixed.
- Freeze any prepared food that you don’t have time to eat.
6. Decide what are you going to do with the leftovers
Before cooking, you decide what are you going to do with the portions of food not used. For example, half of the beet will be used for the soup, the other half will serve for cutlets or salad; half of a jar of cream of milk you’re going to use for the liver, and the remaining half is for baking or for pancakes for breakfast.
7. Get ready for the dishes of yesterday
If you often you can still see the remains of the lunch, and don’t like to eat always the same thing, in this case, you can always cook something new out of them. For example, vegetables, rice or noodles makes a tasty casserole if you add an egg. Any piece of meat can be used to make minced meat for meatballs, and you can make croutons of bread.
8. Replaces the products with which you already have
- For baking: replace 2 eggs with 1 banana and 1 teaspoon of baking powder or 1 egg with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Bread crumbs can be replaced by oatmeal or plain dry bread crumbs.
- Salad vegetables: celery for fresh cabbage cut into small pieces.
- Sauce: 1 cup muddled with 1 cup of tomato paste + 2 tablespoons vinegar + 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Any dish where it is allowed: chicken for beef, pork and even tuna.
9. Freeze portions of dishes made
Some housewives prefer to cook every 1-2 weeks, so that during the rest of the time do not have nor that to get closer to the kitchen. If you can’t dedicate a full day for the kitchen, you can always use special techniques in preparing the meal for 2 or 3 days.
- Use small containers for the products to better conserve their structure when frozen.
- In addition to the containers, abastécete with freezer bags and cling film. This will allow you to freeze even the broth: put the bag in the container and pour the broth on it, and after the liquid is frozen, take it out and save it just in the bag. In addition, if you engage the container with cling film, the products are retained better.
- Comes split the dishes in portions for a meal: so they will be more comfortable heating.
- If the size of the freezer does not allow you to put many things, you can prepare semi-finished products: cut fresh cabbage to cook or peel the carrots and store them in a container in the refrigerator.
- Potatoes change slightly the texture and the taste when freezing, but this does not mean that you can’t freeze them. But it is not recommended to experiment with jellies, sauces and creams: will they lose their structure and uniformity.
10. Share the food
If you bought more products on offer than you can eat before the expiration date, or if cooked too many dishes, share them with others. As some parents who give their adult children, cakes or jams, you can give the yogurt an extra to a colleague or friend.
On the other hand, you can also share with strangers. For example, in several countries you can use the application to OLIO.
How do you keep the products?
Feel free to leave any comments here at Coolest-hacks.com