Man dies in Avila by fever, Crimean-Congo after a tick bite

A man of 74 years has died in Avila by fever, Crimean-Congo after taking part in July in a cinegetic activity in the town in badajoz of Helechosa of the Mountains, where he suffered a tick bite, have informed sources of the ministry of Health of Castilla y León.

The National Center for Microbiology of the Carlos III Institute of Health confirmed the infection by the virus Crimean-Congo of the party affected, who passed away in early morning at the health Care Complex of Ávila.

The process of infection suffered by the patient caused him a high fever and a clinical picture that led to the death, have been pointed out such sources in a statement, according to which, the Epidemiology Services of the Junta de Castilla y León, in collaboration with the health Care Complex of Ávila, are working to identify the possible contacts of the deceased and indicate the follow-up that must be performed.

For its part, the health authorities in extremadura have already taken measures toinform the population and their health professionals, in order to avoid possible infections.

The fever Crimean-Congo is caused by a virus, whose mechanism of the main transmission is the bite of a tick of the genus ‘Hyalomma’, although it can also be spread from a case by contact with blood or fluids of the sick, which is comparable to the transmission of other more common diseases, such as hepatitis B.

In 2016, it confirmed the first two cases of this disease in Spain, a man of 62 years died after the 25 of August after suffering a tick bite that transmitted the disease in a walk through the countryside in a village of Ávila, and the nurse who treated you during your admission to hospital, to enter in contact with her fluids.

To prevent being bitten by a tick, the health authorities, who in recent weeks have carried out an information campaign, have been reminded of the importance of using appropriate clothing and footwear during the field trips.

Have also recommended to transit through the roads and paths and to use repellents both for people and for pets, in addition to check out as soon as possible and in the proper way the ticks that may have attached, preferably by health care professionals.